On Tue 30 Nov 2004 15:22, Steve Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:54:00PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> > Steve Peters wrote:
> > > I looked into these failures a bit last night.  The problem is that the
> > > function getservbyname_r() is defined within the OpenBSD library, but no
> > > prototype is defined in any .h file.  The smoke test, by default, assumes
> > > getservbyname_r() is available, but never comes up with a proper prototype
> > > to use for the function.  This leads to the test failures.   Configuring
> > > by
> > > hand with -Duseithreads leads to a clean compile and no test failures.
> >
> > So maybe should it be disabled in a hints file ?
> > What do you mean, Configuring by hand ? what's different in the smoke
> > process ?
>
> When running Configure -Duseithreads, when it reaches the tests for
> getservbyname_r(), Configure attempts to find the prototype and fails.  It
> then asks whether to use the default, which is to define getservbyname_r(), or
> to override that.  It appears that the smoke test just assumes
> getservbyname_r without confirming the prototype.

Correct. smoke runs Configure -des
-s is silent, -d is default answer
so it newer stops for a question (which
would make smoke runs last indefinitely)

> It does raise a bigger question of why getservbyname_r() is used if no
> prototype is found, since the prototype can vary by libc implementation.

Hairy code from Jarkko. I still don't want to understand that bit

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.5, & 5.9.x, and 809 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,