On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 01:30:29PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Can you tell me where the sources for the regex engine live? At the
> detailed-technical-spec level, I found S05, and I can find the NQP spec, but
> I don't know my way around the interpreter sources yet.

The regex engine lives in src/QRegex of the nqp repository.
https://github.com/perl6/nqp/tree/master/src/QRegex

> My hope is that it's possible to use the JVM port of Rakudo to compile the
> regex engine to JVM bytecode.

I'm not entirely familiar with Rakudo's JVM implementation, but I
believe that the regex engine portion (supplied by NQP) is
_already_ in JVM bytecode.

Unlike PCRE, the NQP regex library isn't a C-based library that
is magically linked into the runtime engine with glue.
NQP compiles the regex engine (and many of NQP's other components)
directly to the target VM's environment.

Pm