> On 29 May 2017, at 18:26, brian d foy <brian.d....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did pull my first example out of a slightly larger program I was
> playing with, but I thought that a match would surely have no effect.
> Stupid me, because I've been around long enough to know that
> assumption is almost always false. That "harmless" thing you leave out
> is the actual problem. Here's a complete program that reproduces it:
>
>    'abcdef' ~~ m/ cd /;
>
>    my $thingy = %();
>    put $thingy.^name;  #Map

Well, do we consider the named matches of a match modifiable or not?  Feels to
me having it as an (immutable) Map feels actually closer to the intent, rather
than it being a (modifiable) Hash.  It also gives more opportunity for
optimization.

So perhaps the Hashes should be considered the odd ones out?

Liz