I think there are a couple answers. The simple one is yes -- embrace the
whitespace. Maybe wrap them in ()', like (2 d 6).

Another line of ideas is wrapping things with some other operators. Maybe a
special quoting operator or a converter.

  [[2d6]] # double for dice!
  "2d6":dice # postfix. This used to work but maybe doesn't now
  dice[ 2d6 ] # circumfix

And then the third thing that comes to mind is adding a slang, though that
is, I believe, the least stable language-level approach. Dunno.

--Brock