Quoting Parrot Raiser <1parr...@gmail.com>:

> Round trips to the OS, like repeated "says", have been slow relative
> to internal processes since the dawn of time.

In this case, there are no trips. It's the *parsing* time that's slow.
In fact, if you change it to `$ = ‘a’;` it's equally slow.

Looking at this now, with an extra year of knowledge, it makes perfect
sense for this to be unusually slower: each line switches back and
forth from Main language braid, to Quote language braid, and then back
to Main.

> For a core developer it's kinda hard to forget about parsing being
> slow anyway :)

Indeed, we all pay a ~70s of wait time to parse core code after
*every* change.

I'm actually debugging a bug that requires me to learn how the braid
switcher works; I'll take a look if the switch can be improved—don't
hold your breath tho, I'm a n00b.