On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:53:03 -0700, alex.jakime...@gmail.com wrote:
> FWIW I made a throwaway script that looks for unused params, and there
> are many
> of these in rakudo sources. Of course, most of these cases are not in
> hot
> paths, but the overall performance benefit may be very noticeable.
>
> There are also cases like this:
> https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/blob/nom/src/core/IO/Socket/Async.pm#L313-
> L315
> where named arg is present in the signature but does absolutely
> nothing (or so
> it seems?).
>
> Dunno if I should post the results. There are many false-positives and
> I guess
> many cases are not caught at all, so a proper approach is needed if we
> really
> want to replace all these with $.

Wouldn't a warning about unused variables be more appropriate
than silently rewriting them to `$`? Their names can be introspected and used
for
something by they user. We actually do do that in core (sub MAIN USAGE
generation).

That Proc::Async line you point out actually has a bug in it and a warning
would've detected it.