In UTF8 characters can be 1 to 4 bytes long.

UTF8 was designed so that 7-bit ASCII is a subset of it.

Any 8bit byte that has its most significant bit set cannot be ASCII.
So multi-byte codepoints have the most significant bit set for all of the
bytes.
The first byte can tell you the number of bytes that follow it.

That is how a singe codepoint is stored.

A character can be made of several codepoints.

    "\c[LATIN SMALL LETTER E]\c[COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT]"
    "é"

So Rakudo has to read the next codepoint to make sure that it isn't a
combining codepoint.

It is probably faking up the reads to look right when reading ASCII, but
failing to do that for wider codepoints.