On 29/12/2020 19:10, Francis Grizzly Smit wrote:
On 29/12/2020 18:49, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users wrote:
On 12/28/20 11:29 PM, Peter Scott wrote:
On 12/28/20 10:57 PM, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users wrote:
On 12/28/20 4:54 AM, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
So please take what I say now as a plea for you to adapt a little, not to get pissed off with us even though you do seem to have pissed some of us off.

You have very definite ideas about what the documentation should and shouldn't be. You have stated them over and over again. The Raku community at large - based on replies from multiple individuals over the years - disagrees with you.

The Raku community has come to the concensus that there is a distinction between Tutorials and Reference, and that the Documentation site should contain both. Tutorials define how to use some aspect of Raku, with example text and explanation. Reference tries to cover as much of the language as possible, covering all the methods/subs/names/types etc as possible. Reference is written for a person who already knows how to program and who uses Raku. The assumption is that if a person reading a reference does not understand some term, then s/he will search in the documentation on that term to understand it.

No set of documentation standards will please everyone - that's life. Even so, there ARE STILL areas of the Raku documentation that are lacking (just look at the issues on the Documentation repository, any of them raised by our indefatigable JJ).

Hi Richard,

When deciding to write a technical article, the
VERY FIRST thing you have to do is determine
your TARGET AUDIENCE.

In a single sentence, please state for me what
you believe the TARGET AUDIENCE is for the
documentation.

Richard stated the target audience for reference documentation quite clearly: Someone who already knows how to program and uses Raku. Multiple people have told you many times over several years that the purpose of reference documentation is to provide a complete description of the elements of a language expressed in concise formal notation, and is not to be confused with tutorials. Your condescending tone indicates you haven't listened and are still trying to convince them that they are wrong. It isn't going to work.

Peter,

I am, not being condescending.  If you sense anything,
it is frustration.

I will accept your target audience:

      "Someone who already knows how to program and
      uses 'Raku.'"

I will also accept that the documentation is not for me
or anyone else trying to learn Raku.  This is different
than any other programming language I have used, but
it is what it is.  Not my call.

And by your description of the target audience, I am
correct when I say the documentation is meant for
those that already know what they are doing.

   "language expressed in concise formal notation, and
   is not to be confused with tutorials"

Well now, they need to get on the same page as you:

https://docs.raku.org/language/classtut
    "A tutorial about creating and using classes in Raku"
I assume what you need is a set of tutorials for beginners try https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=raku+programming++for+beginners and hope for the best I guess. sorry I cannot help more just now
https://raku.guide/ looks good if you have specific questions some of us here may be able to help.

It is clearly stated that it is a tutorial, although
it is not.  It is what you describe  above.  This is
part of my frustration.

Please do not confuse frustration with condescension.

-T

--
    .~.     In my life God comes first....
    /V\         but Linux is pretty high after that :-D