This is intended behavior.

Since subsets are just code it would be difficult to impossible to
determine all of the ones that can match without actually running them all.
This would slow down every call that uses multiple subsets.

By most narrow candidate, it means by type. All subsets "of" the same type
are sorted by the order they are written.

The ambiguity it talks about is when two candidates have the same level of
type for a given input. For example Str and Int for an IntStr.