On 2/12/22 13:12, Parrot Raiser wrote:
unfortunate tendency for "simple" languages
to accrete features and morph into misshapen monsters

Hi Parrot,

This is probably not going to add the the knowledge
of humanist, but WHEN DOES THAT STOP ME !!!!
<maniacal laughter>

My tendency is to find what I need and ignore the
rest.  My use of a language is a mean to an end.
I do not care how well I master things, just that
I get the job done.

A good example is that I forced myself to learn regex.
Now I am quite handy with it.  But never learned subst,
which confuses me beyond the dickens when I see it,
But since I do not need it, I do not use it.

So when an OS become a bloated monster, I hardly ever notice.

It would be nice though if Raku cleaned up the bizarre
compile times and added a support interface for graphic
windows.  Some day I will learn Glade for that, unless
Raku beats me to it.

-T

p.s.  I am now surprised every time I have to use
the serial editor from hell (sed) and I actually
understand it.

p.s.s.  When you guys taught me how to use
$( Q[] ) inside a regex, a whole new world
opened up.  No more \\/\/\///\/\/\ hell.

p.s.s.s. speaking Q[] it is invaluable when dealing
with Windows file paths and back slashes.