Hi Brad,

Auth is for more than just the author. It is for author, authority, and authentication.
There is no password or other cryptographic way, so authentication is not possible. Obviously, I might miss some insight here.

In the documentation I read; "|:auth| generally takes the form |hosting:ID|, as in |github:github-user| or |gitlab:gitlab-user|". For me, hosting is e.g. on GitHub or Gitlab to store the software, and ecosystems are for spreading the word, i.e. telling that there is a software available somewhere, and this somewhere is not important. That is the work for zef to find out.

And the word 'generally' means that it is just an example, it is in the end just a string. Furthermore, there is no mention in the docs of any use other than naming it in a useful way. No remarks of needing it to login into some ecosystem and no word about that separator, being a column, or split it up in more than two fields using an other character.

Searching through some distributions I find 'zef:lizmat', 'github:MARTIMM', 'tonyo', 'cpan:WARRINGD', 'github:ccworld1000, ccworld1...@gmail.com, 2291108...@qq.com', showing that there is absolutely no clear way to use that field. For me, it means again that the auth field must be completely free and the same, independent of the ecosystem in use.

CPAN can't authenticate github or fez modules, and vice versa. There is a reason the field is only the first four letters.
The word 'github' is longer.

That they are seen as different modules is an intended feature, not a bug.
I didn't want to say that it was a bug, sorry for the confusion.

I would like to know how you would want the system to handle a module from me. cpan:BGILLS github:b2gills and I intend to get b2gills on fez as well. (CPAN doesn't allow numbers, otherwise I would have it there to.)
Do you want to write several meta files with different auth fields depending on the ecosystem you want to send it to? The only thing you can do without much work is sending a project e.g. to fez and another to cpan but I don't see the use of spreading your projects over several ecosystems.

Also for a class you wrote, JSON::Class, what should I write (I took it to the extreme of course, 'use JSON::Class' would do)

use JSON::Class:auth<cpan:BGILLS>;
use JSON::Class:auth<github:b2gills>;
use JSON::Class:auth<fez:b2gills>;

All three are getting the same software, or not, when it is someone els-es auth.

What if someone else took a user name on github that matched one on CPAN or fez?
That is the point I want to make. Keeping the auth field the same everywhere, independent of ecosystem, will show that the software is the same everywhere. If that someone has the same account name as someone else on cpan or fez it will show a difference in the auth field.

So, I think there is a lot to ponder over....
Regards,
Marcel