On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 6:10 AM Bruce Gray <bruce.g...@acm.org> wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 2023, at 6:00 PM, Elizabeth Mattijsen <l...@dijkmat.nl> wrote:
> >> On 2 Feb 2023, at 00:53, Ralph Mellor <ralphdjmel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It required an international phone call.
> > ???  I've never had to make *any* phone call to be able to use Jitsi.
> To clarify, using Jitsi as normal (for *video* conferencing) is free,
> worldwide.

Ah. Great!

> Jitsi allows you to call a phone number, to listen and speak
> (audio-only) on in the video meeting room:
>         +44.203.885.2179        UK

The Jitsi "Joining instructions" link vrurg shared showed a list like that.

> These numbers are also free, but only if your phone company
> considers them free. In other words, you might get charged,
> but it is the phone company's charge, not Jitsi's.

Right, I was talking about the phone company charge, not Jitsi.

But anyhoo, it seems this is moot.

Aiui now, I just need to connect via the web and it'll be free.

> Hope this helps,

It does! Thank u Liz and Bruce (and Polgár Márton / Martin Burger).

My internet is flakey when humidity is around 80%+ and the weather
forecast suggests it may be but with luck I'll be "there" 5pm UK time
(noon EST, 9am US west coast time) Saturday Feb 11.

--
raiph