On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 07:09:07AM -0600, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 02:17 raf via perl6-users <perl6-us...@perl.org>
> wrote:
>
> >  Hi. I'm trying to create a macports portfile for zef so
>

> I'm not a Mac user, but I've been struggling with another Rakudo
> installation method for Linux and had similar problems. My solution has
> been to install the binary code for linux by downloading it and putting it
> in /opt.
>
> Where are you getting the compiled code? Are you rearranging it in any way
> before it gets to the final destination?
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tom

The usual way is for a macports Portfile to download
the source and compile it (if necessary) on each client
host. I have been given good advice on how to proceed
with my problem (that some directories aren't created
when rakudo is installed, so it tries to create them
when running zef's installation but not having the
permissions to do so). But I'm too busy at the moment
to work on it right now.

Macports builds a package into a destroot directory
and then installs it into an installation directory
and then activates the installation by copying or
symlinking from /opt/local/whatever to the installation
directory. That enables multiple versions of the same
package to be installed, with a single version being
active at any one time. I think the problem I'm having
is that it disregards empty directories unless you
explicitly instruct it to keep them, and I think that
that isn't happening in the rakudo port to retain
directories that it creates but that are empty initially.
If I change the rakudo port to keep those directories,
the zef port should work. At least, that's my mental
model at the moment.

cheers,
raf