At 01:09 AM 11/15/2001 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

>Those who read Apocalypse 3 (and everybody here should because the
>Apocalypses describe what we plan to implement) would know that Larry Wall
>decided to implement batch operations on arrays. Hence it would be
>possible to add two arrays in order to get a third array whose members
>equal to the sums of the two other arrays. Likewise for multiplication,
>division, etc.

The way it'll work is if you have:

    @foo = @bar ^+ @baz;

that'll boil down to a single interpreter op:

    add foo, bar, baz

When the add vtable method for the array bar is handed a whole array as its
second parameter, it does a piecewise add, as it needs. Non-default
behaviour will require list decomposition and mapping and stuff, but
that'll be just a few ops too. (map will be a single op, for example)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk