On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 01:11:21PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > > 4. For modules, saying 'use Exporter' should be enough to get import.
> > >    If you don't want Exporter's import(), just C<use Exporter()>.
> >
> > Very nice.  Exporter::Lite does just that.
>
> What actually stops us retrofitting that onto perl5's exporter?

If we did everyone would still say "@ISA = qw(Exporter)" to be
backwards compatible, so I don't know what the benefits would be.

Also it would cause "subroutine redefined" warnings in this sort of
code:

    use Exporter;
    sub import {
        Exporter::export_to_level(...);
    }

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One