Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 9:10 AM -0400 9/4/02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> So, just to clarify, does that mean that multi-dispatch is (by
>> definition)
>> a run-time thing, and overloading is (by def) a compile time thing?
>
> No. They can be both compile time things or runtime things, depending on
> the characteristics of the language.

I don't think so. Those terms are well understood by the OO community.
Bertrand Meyer wrote on the subject:
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/meyer/publications/joop/overloading.pdf

Prior to C++ there might have been some ambiguity (for example, some
people have talked about run-time vs compile-time overloading), but
C++ has completely stolen the term. Here's a slide from one of Damian's
presentations that states multi-methods are "Like C++ overloading,
but polymorphic."
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/TPC/1999/MultipleDispatch/Presentation/sld010.htm

- Ken