From: "Dan Sugalski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On a Unix system, a core dump is a file with a raw (mostly) copy of a
> process' current memory image that's written whenever a process does
> something profoundly illegal, like accessing an inaccessible section
> of memory with no trap handler that allows recovery or something of
> the sort. They're handy, because it means you can go and debug a
> process after the fact, and don't have to be there on the spot to
> figure out what's going on. Really handy for things that die
> overnight, or when you're not around, and you don't want the defunct
> process hanging around until you can attach to it with a debugger.
>
> Does Windows do this? (I know other OSes, like VMS, do *not* do it)

No, Windows does not use core files. If you run your code outside of a
debugger and a problem occurs you will be given the option of either
debugging the code or killing the executing process.

> If so, how do I enable it? If not, I presume there's some reasonably
> simple way to attach a debugger to a process that's died. (I hope)

Yeah. That's it. A debugger. Do you have one? If no, try to pull WinDbg
about.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/default.mspx?gssnb=1

It's free for downloading. You will find some "HOW TO" there either.

> No, I'm not getting turned into a windows programmer, but until I get

It's a pity that you ain't =)

>                                          Dan

0x4C56