On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 2) I sent this question previously (22 Feb 2004 20:37 GMT) but it never made it
> onto the list. (I was unsubscribed!).
>
> If I make a change in win32.c, (now: config/gen/platform/win32/exec.c) what is
> the procedure (or where is this documented) to get platform.c re-generated and
> compiled into parrot.exe?
>
> The only mechanism I have found that does this is to
>
>       nmake realclean
>       configure.pl
>       nmake
>
> which doesn't seem right somehow, but I think I've read every documentation file
> at least twice and nothing has leaped of the page as to the right way to do
> this.

 That seems right to me: platform.c is generated when configure runs, and
 so we don't want to delete it when we do a simple 'make clean', only when
 we do 'make realclean'. This is documented in the makefile itself, but
 I'm not sure if we document it elsewhere; if not, then we probably
 should.

 Incidentally, it's not only platform.c that behaves like this -- a number
 of other files have the same behaviour, either because they are platform
 dependent or because they depend on the particular configuration options
 chosen. The full list is in the Makefile -- see the section '"STICKY"
 GENERATED FILES:'. Again, I'm not sure if these are documented anywhere
 else, but they should be.

 Simon