On Mon 24 May 2004 06:55, Andrew Savige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Suppose I fix a bug with a unique bug ID in a bug tracking system.
> I start by dutifully adding 15 new asserts, say, to an existing unit
> test program, to duplicate the bug before I fix it. What if I later
> want some way to map the bug ID back to the these 15 new asserts?
> Should I somehow assign unique IDs to my unit tests -- if so, at what
> level of granularity? If I keep some sort of external test case
> database, I'm worried about the overhead of keeping my (typically
> fairly volatile) unit test programs in sync with the database.
>
> Does the Perl core deal with this somehow? That is, suppose you have
> an RT ticket, is there a way to find out which of Perl's 80,164 tests
> tests for it?

I think this is a very good question, but the answer is no.
If you're lucky, the patch supplier did what you did and added (a lot of)
tests to verify the correct behaviour, and what you will see is a small
comment line like

---
{   # test 14
    # Bug #24774 format without trailing \n failed assertion, but this
    # must fail since we have a trailing ; in the eval'ed string (WL)
---
# [ID 20020227.005] format bug with undefined _TOP
---
                IV tiv = SvIVx(argsv); /* work around GCC bug #13488 */
                switch (intsize) {
---
/* [perl #20339] - we should accept and ignore %lf rather than die */
            case 'l':
---

in the old bug tracking system, the rt administrators might enter a release
number in where they found the bug fixed, but this was no guarantee that the
bug was fixed by that patch.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.3, & 5.9.x, and 809 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,