Mark J. Reed wrote:
On 2004-06-07 at 21:33:03, David Cantrell wrote:
This is what is so wrong about allowing unicode operators - yes, I don't
need to write them, but if some other programmer writes one I have to be
able to read it.  And I can't.
Well, for one thing, just because your email program doesn't let you display
them, that doesn't mean you can't see them in your text editor.  If I
sent you a Perl program as an attachment I'm sure the "bizarre"
characters would come through fine.

The data in the file would, of course, be preserved, but that doesn't mean I could read it. Like when I was writing my earlier mail.

And for another thing, what bizarre email system are you using that in
2004 can't even handle Latin-1?

My console can be any of several platforms - in the last couple of weeks it has been a Linux box, a Windows PC, a Mac, a Sun workstation, and a real vt320 attached to a Sun. My mail sits on a hosted Linux box. To read it, I sometimes ssh in to the machine and read it using mutt in screen. At other times I read it using Mozilla Thunderbird over IMAP. In Thunderbird, the odd characters show up. But when I'm using a terminal session, I have found that the only practical way of getting consistent behaviour wherever I am is to use TERM=vt100. Windows is, of course, the main culprit in forcing me to vt100 emulation.

--
David Cantrell  |  Failed to find witty sig