On Sep 28, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

According to Jeff Clites:
top-level namespace (say this is namespace #1):
{
        variables => { Foo => <PerlScalar PMC (or whatever)> },
        namespaces => { Foo => <PerlNamespace PMC, call namespace #2> }
}

I think I get it. You're replacing sigil characters and associated name mangling, turning it into explicit named categories, thus avoiding lots of anticipated string tricks.

Yep, exactly. And it works for Perl, but also fits languages which don't have a built-in mangling-via-sigils, yet still have different categories (like Common Lisp, which allows functions and variables of the same name).

And the named categories don't necessarily imply an additional hash lookup--with specialized ops for the common categories, we can fast-path getting to the correct hash to do the final lookup.

JEff