On Nov 7, 2004, at 2:25 AM, Jens Rieks wrote:

On Sunday 07 November 2004 09:48, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
* where exactly is the mismatch coming from?
Unix uses "\n" to indicate end-of-line, windows uses "\r\n". The problem is,
that the "perlhist.txt" file is checked in as a text file. I'll recommit it
as a binary file in the hope that it fixes the problem.

The root of the problem is the different line ending, I have no idea how
parrot can deal with it, or if it should deal with it at all.

Ah, just to amplify what you've said, it sounds like the problem is that CVS on Windows is translating the line endings upon checkout, since it's a text file.

It sounds like the test is fine, just a bit tricky to get the perlhist.txt file in place unmodified. An alternative would be to create the test file on-the-fly, but flagging it as binary for CVS is probably simpler.

(In my opinion, the line-ending issue isn't a problem for Parrot in terms of this test--it's legitimate to expect that you can process a particular file, not matter what platform you happen to be on, and no matter if the file happens to have been created on another platform.)

JEff