On Nov 7, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

Jack J. Woehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Okay, I now configured

perl Configure.pl --prefix=/usr/local/uplevel --cc=gcc --cxx=gcc --icuplatform=sparc-sun-solaris2.9

The build bombs in:

string_set_data_directory: ICU data files not found(apparently) for directory [/usr/local/uplevel/blib/lib/icu/2.6.1]make: *** [runtime/parrot/include/parrotlib.pbc] Error 40

Argh (sorry not you), we have really to do something against that ever and ever resurrecting ICU build troubles.

What's the state of ICU 3.0?

ICU 3.0 worked fine for me as a drop-in replacement (built independently, not as part of the Parrot build), but I thinks that's not the main issue--it's the at-runtime location of resources that is the problem. I have an idea about how we could be doing that better, in particular in the case of using a dynamic libparrot (in which case parrot-specific resources should really be located relative to the library, not the executable). Basically, dladdr() lets you find out at runtime the path to a linked library, and that can be the base used for resource location (not just for the ICU data file(s), but also for the "runtime" directory, etc.).

JEff