On 16/03/05 14:56 -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:24, Brian Ingerson wrote:
>
> > vs Kwid:
> >
> >         `$x > $y` is about as *easy* as it gets in [Perl]
> >
> > Did you really read `perlkwid.kwid`?
>
> Yes, and can you please stop asking that question? I read it several
> times, and you're starting to get just this side of insulting. If I got
> something wrong, fine, say so. Stop trying to dismiss everything else
> I've said by suggesting that I'm completely uninformed.

Aaron, /please/ take no offense. I just don't understand where you
picked `[=...]` up other than that is the (hated) syntax artifact of the
original `CGI::Kwiki`. I don't recall ever using it in regards to Kwid.
I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. :)

> > There is simply no mention
> > of `[=...]` as a markup option, which makes me wonder where you
> > got it from?
>

> I got it from that document.... or so I thought. Since it's now deleted,
> I'm no longer sure. Having a reference again would be nice. It's hard to
> have a conversation about a document that does not exist.

In my first mail of the thread I pointed to it:

    http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/ext/Pugs-Documentation/perlkwid.kwid

As I said in my last mail, it has moved around a bit, so pardon our dust.

> Ok, that said PLEASE DO NOT USE UNBALANCED CHARACTERS TO DELIMIT!
> Please, for the love of all that is valid input to any scanner / parser
> anywhere, do not re-introduce quoting hell. Really. Please. Don't. I'll
> buy you a beer. I swear, just put the unbalanced operator down and step
> back.

A beer is tempting...

> Sorry, but I use POD specifically because it makes my life simple.
> Introducing unbalanced quotes into it would remove that functionality. A
> few examples:
>
>       "And then I says, `Mabel,' I says, `shut up.'"
>
>       The ``` character is no longer used.
>
> And of course, TONS of Gnu documentation which uses the TeX-friendly:
>
>       This is the way you ``quote'' things.

No problem with this example. `` doesn't /hug/ anything so it shows up
asis. Cutting and pasting LaTeX doesn't mess anything up in this regard.
But really, you'll likely refactor it to:

    This is the way you "quote" things.

Since `` and '' don't do anything for you in either Pod or Kwid.

Cheers, Brian