On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:44:30PM +0100, Adrian Howard wrote:

> On 28 Apr 2005, at 14:23, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> >Using Test::More, I would like to send some diagnostics to be seen only
> >when the harness is running in verbose mode.
> [snip]
>
>       diag "some verbose diagnostics" if $ENV{TEST_VERBOSE};

Test::Harness honors HARNESS_VERBOSE but does not set it.

prove sets TEST_VERBOSE when -v is set.

Both set $Test::Harness::verbose however your test cannot see that since
its running in an exec'd subprocess.

prove and TH should unify how they indicate to a subprocess that they are
running verbose.  Given that Test::Harness already uses HARNESS_ACTIVE to
indicate to running tests that they are running under Test::Harness it and
prove should continue to use the HARNESS_ prefix for their environment
variables.

So...

Test::Harness and prove should both set HARNESS_VERBOSE=1 when running
verbose.