On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:33:56AM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > Currently per S09, Perl 6 collection types all have uniform types,
> > so one has to use the `List of Any` or `Array of Any` return type
> > instead.  That seriously hinders inference and typechecking; however,
> > I wonder if it is a design decision already made... :)
>
> I don't think Parrot would have any support for signature checking of
> this sort... just a thought.

Sure, but Parrot is not the compiler, it's just something I need to
target.  Hierarchical signature checking should probably not be done in
the VM level.

> > 4. Software Transaction Memory
>
> This is a good idea, but most of the things that it provides would
> probably be better provided in a Parrot module, mocked up into each
> client language in a module of their own, rather than as a core language
> feature.

Sure, but saying atomic {} requires that the core Perl* PMCs has
STM support built in.  Unless there is an easy way to swap out
Perl* PMCs from underneath, I don't think that STM can be done
as an extra add-on.

> > 7. AST definition
> [...]
> > Is there something like it that exists somewhere for Perl 6?
>
> Isn't that called Pugs? ;-)

Not until Pugs is machine-translated to Perl 6, and having that
form of AST definition in Perl 6 would help the process.  I think
the translation needs to happen one way or another, anyway. :)

Thanks,
/Autrijus/