On Sunday 02 July 2006 23:37, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> > The most up-to-date Test-Run code is here:
> >
> > http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/web-cpan/Test-Harness-NG/
> >
> > I don't mind giving Subversion access to the repository to anyone who
> > registers in http://developer.berlios.de/ and is either a CPAN
> > contributor, or has sent me one patch for me to commit. With Adam
> > Kennedy's permission, I can also move the files to his Subversion
> > repository, where everyone with a PAUSE ID can commit to.
>
> I'd prefer not to add it at this point.
>
> That's not so much because of the code itself, but because currently
> it's MY repository for the module _I_ maintain, please a few other
> things I'm very very tight with and likely to have to do releases for
> anyway (PITA/Win32).
>
> They are structured a certain way, the licenses must be Perl (at present
> the dist-builder would change your license at release time) and it's
> build around the way I do things.
>
> While it might some time in the future end up as the kernel of some sort
> of larger svn.cpan.org it is absolutely NOT that at the moment.
>
> That particular issue is one I want a year or so of experience with the
> current setup under my belt before I address.
>
> But you also have dozens of modules, so I imagine it would be worth you
> just creating your own setup, be it Trac, Insurrection (assuming you can
> get the damned thing installed) or otherwise.
>
> That way you're able to set it up as you like, rather than me forcing my
> structures and policies onto you.

I'm sorry but I don't have the time, energy or money resources to set up my
own CPAN-wide Subversion hosting like that. At the moment I prefer to use a
Subversion hosting maintained by someone else or by a Subversion hosting
provider[1], rather than start messing with a setup like this under my own
responsiblity.

Similarly, I can't seem to be able to maintain (install, upgrade, keep spam
clean, etc.) several web-apps on several different hosts, and would rather
get providers that provide such services (like Wikia for MediaWiki, etc.). If
I encounter a problem there - it will be fixed, not only for me but for
everyone. Hostings I already have:

1. Subversion at http://stalker.iguide.co.il:8080/svn/shlomif-homepage/ . I'm
keeping the sources of my homepage there because some of its content may not
be open-source, and I feel that it won't be nice to use
http://opensvn.csie.org/ or whatever for that. But I may be wrong, and it is
not against the policy of some Subversion providers.

I have a shell account on stalker, and occasionally need to compile
Subversion, Apache 2, etc. However, I might get my admin to install these
packages from the Debian pool.

2. http://www.shlomifish.org/ - this is an entirely static (but pre-rendered)
site that serves as my homepage. It is hosted at http://eonspace.net/ [2] and
I've moved it there so it will have good bandwidth. I have ssh access there,
and am using rsync to upload the files.

I once tried to install YaBB there, but my hostmaster and I failed due to some
obscure Apache configuration problems. Maybe I'll have better luck next time,
but at the moment, I don't have an immediate need for anything dynamic.
(Except perhaps a small script or two.)

3. http://www.iglu.org.il/ - this is a community site that I got burried in
maintaining. I have a root password for it. While I have some stuff there, I
tend to avoid using it for anything serious, because the server is rather
under-powered and the connectivity to anywhere except Israel tends to be
slow.

My homesite used to be hosted there, but it has been moved to eonspace.net.

---------------

What I'm trying to say is that the last thing I need right now is to buy a
server of some sort and put and maintain Subversion on it, and I believe
that's the case for other people. And I think one central Subversion server
(with some mirrors) is better than several dispersed ones.

Adam, in case you have the configuration of the server (scripts, conf files,
etc.) available somewhere public, I could try helping you once you're ready
for it. No promises though. The number of tasks on a project's todo list
always grows or remains constant, and so do the number of projects a
developer is involved in.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

[1] - http://subversion.tigris.org/links.html#hosting

[2] - Yes, I know there's nothing much there yet.

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bottom 5%.