Jonathan Lang wrote:
Larry Wall wrote:
You don't need to use | to store a capture any more than you need @ to
store an array.  Just as

    $x = @b;
    @$x;

gives you the original array,

Huh.  I'm not used to this happening.  So what would the following
code do, and why?

   my @b = ('foo', 'bar');
   my $x = @b;
   say $x;

@b gets a list shoved into it
$x gets the array @b shoved into it
The array @b gets printed.

Arrays in a scalar context in Perl6 auto-capture themselves and the scalar becomes a reference to the array (or hash, or even capture, for that matter).

At a higher level, think of it this way: all data types are objects. Assigning an array into a scalar is just a change in notation.

likewise

    $x = [EMAIL PROTECTED];
    @$a;

gives you the original array as well.

Err... don't you mean '@$x' instead of '@$a'?

Yes, he does.

: >we currently don't allow assignment to a capture, only binding.
:
: IOW, if you want someone to be able to say '$|x' and get '$a' as a
: result, you'd have to say '|x := \$a' (or perhaps '$|x := $a') instead
: of '|x = \$a'.  Right?

Yes.  That's how it's currently specced, anyway.  (The \ is probably
required, or it'll try to bind to the contents of $a instead.)

???

IMHO most of the confusion here goes away if capture variables ONLY store parameter-list-like captures, and any other kind of capture should, IMHO, permute itself into such a structure if you try to store it into one. That way, their use is carefully constrained to the places where Perl 6 can't already do the job.