I'm helping Bernhard Schmalhofer with Plumhead (PHP/Parrot) by writing a PHPArray PMC and some tests. To maximize compatibility and minimize my effort, I've been copying and modifying code from Zend's implementation where appropriate, using the code from http://lxr.php.net/source/ZendEngine2/ . That code is licensed under the Zend 2.00 license. As far as I can tell, the Zend license 2.00 is basically a Zend-branded BSD + advertising license.

The Zend-derived code in the PMC could convievably be replaced with a from-scratch implementation, but I'd rather not debug a bunch of linked-list code if there are other options.

Would it be acceptable to submit code like this to Parrot? By my interpretation, it can work as long the advertising clause is honored, but my experience in this area is limited.

As an alternative, there's also the Zend 3.01 license (http://www.php.net/license/3_01.txt) under which the current version of PHP (2.5.2) is distributed. It has a loosened advertising clause but would require permission from Zend to use the name "PHP". I don't know what terms they would offer. but in the worst case I could just rename the PMC.

Thanks,
Christoph