On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 09:49:32PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> So, I attempted to build Rakudo on my Raspberry Pi, expecting it to go wrong.
> It didn't quite pan out the way I expected.
> [...]
> It would be wonderful if Rakudo's memory usage would drop. I think that that's
> going to be easier than finding a faster swap device.

We all agree that we'd really like to see Rakudo's memory usage
drop, especially on the build steps for the larger files (like
Perl6/Actions.pm and CORE.settings).  At the moment it takes a
lot of work and instrumentation (in all of Parrot, NQP, Rakudo)
to find out what's consuming all of the memory.  It's also
hard to know if things are being released/GC'd properly when
they're no longer being used (it's fairly easy in Parrot to
end up with 'stray' references that cause large data structures
to hang around much longer than you might expect).

We'll keep chipping away at it, though.  Maybe others some
some tools they can use to help us discover where the memory
is going...?

Pm