At 03:36 PM 8/10/00 -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
>You may also want to be able to short circuit some of the steps.
>Especially where the startup time may outweigh the win of optimization.

The only one that's skippable is the optimizer, really. I'd  planned on
having to pass it some indicator of how aggressive it should be,

>And if there could be different execution engines. Machine level,
>bytecode, (and perhaps straight out of the syntax tree.)

Yup. Hence the "replaceable" bit. :) The boxes would all have a fixed and
well-defined interface, and the various streams (syntax tree and bytcode)
would also be well-defined. If you wanted to build an execution box that
instead dumped out java bytecodes, well, sounds like a good plan to me. :)

>Hmm, might that make some debugging easier?

Might. Hard to say, though if we get them as black boxes at least it'll
make debugging more compartmentalized.