At 08:29 PM 8/25/00 +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
>Benjamin Stuhl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >AUTOLOAD searches are not cheap either. It can take a lot
> >of stat() calls to even _find_ the correct module, much
> >less load it. The average math function in the perl5 core
> >is about 13 lines of C code. Eviscerating it out of the
> >core would accomplish nothing.
>
>And that is _NOT_ what is being proposed.
>What I envisage is more like "overlays" of the 16-bit era -
>tightly coupled binaries which are stored alongside 'perl'
>in what ever place is the "easiest to find" way for the platform.

Bingo! That's it in a nutshell. And every single thing that could possibly
need to be figured out would be done ahead of time so there's as little
overhead as possible. (I'm even pondering the possibility of jamming the
table with the potential functions and their associated information into a
shareable image so we don't even need to parse a text file--it's already
predigested and available)