At 11:13 PM 8/29/00 -0400, Michael Maraist wrote:

Most of what this RFC (and reply) addresses is sort of up in the air, but I
wanted to address one point here.

>The way python works is that in the library tree, it looks for any of the
>following:
>.py, pyc, and .so.
>
>You can probably guess what's what.  If only the .py was found, it
>immediately writes out the .pyc when it finishes compiling.  This happens
>every time (unless it can't write to the directory).

For security reasons, I'd much rather the compiled version of anything that
goes into the perl tree be done only at module install time with perhaps
some mechanism to explicitly build (or rebuild) a bytecompiled version.

Automagically dropping things into places that should be secure worries me.
(And yes, I realize that you'd need write access to the directory to do it,
so you're already vulnerable and all that, but... just because we hand
someone a gun doesn't mean we need to load it and point it somewhere as well)