AB> Chaim Frenkel wrote:
>> What tied scalar? All you can contain in an aggregate is a reference
>> to a tied scalar. The bucket in the aggregate is a regular bucket. No?

AB> So you don't intend being able to roll back anything that has been
AB> modified via a reference then?  And if you do intend to allow this, how
AB> will you know when to stop chasing references?  What happens if there
AB> are circular references?  How much time do you think it will take to
AB> scan a 4Gb array to find out which elements need to be checkpointed?

AB> Please consider carefully the potential consequences of your proposal.

No scanning. I was considering that all variables on a store would
safe store the previous value in a thread specific holding area[*]. Then
upon a deadlock/rollback, the changed values would be restored.

(This restoration should be valid, since the change could not have taken
place without an exclusive lock on the variable.)

Then the execution stack and program counter would be reset to the
checkpoint. And then restarted.

<chaim>
[*] Think of it as the transaction log.
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183