Bennett Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think the complaint about mod_perl's weight bears looking at, despite
> the success of the INN embedding. One invocation of INN is likely to do
> a sufficiently heroic amount of work that the weight and bulk of a perl
> in there may well not hurt a bit.

> A single httpd in something like apache isn't doing a whole heck of a
> lot; to run a really high-volume server you want hundreds of the things,
> and that gets out of hand terribly fast. mod_perls do not help matters.

We embed Perl in nnrpd as well, which is spawned anew for each reader
connection.  I haven't seen the Perl startup time be enough of an impact
to care about, and with the hunt group stuff, I think that nnrpds are
started up somewhat more frequently than httpds in a typical Apache setup.
Of course, a bit of a delay when first contacting a news server is more
generally considered acceptable than a bit of delay in contacting a web
server if that request means that Apache has to spawn a new httpd.

> There's another embedding setting on Unix servers that has a similar
> flavour (each invocation doesn't do a whole lot), and that's in a simple
> filtering email Local Delivery Agent. perl-based filtering programs
> don't blow procmail away because procmail weighs in at a teensy fraction
> of perl's pork, so there's a radical difference in sustainable email
> traffic levels.

Yup.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>