NC> Have I misunderstood you if I suggest that "two or more" is actually a
NC> continuous range of representation from

NC> 1 (contiguous linear) string data with 0 or more attribute attached to each
NC>   character where the string's text is the backbone
NC>   [and the global and local order of the characters in string is crucial
NC>    to the value and equality with other variables]

NC> 2 structured data (eg XML) where the string's text is just part of the data
NC>   held in the structure, and you could sort the data in different ways
NC>   without changing its value

NC> Are those end members in a continuum? or are hybrids of the 2 impossible?
NC> Am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

That's one way of looking at it.

But I'm more inclined to think of the structured data type as a layer
above the raw bits. I see the association of attributes with the underlying
data as an extra 'service'.

If for no other reason, there are many ways of having the attributes
distribute across, deletions, additions, and moves. That is a policy
decision that should not be done at the perl internal level.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183