Nathan Torkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It doesn't.  String eval is the escape hatch from a language that can't do
> what you want it to do.  As such it's okay for it to be slow--consider it
> incentive to fix the language :-) The runtime system should be able to
> load the compilation system and say "turn this SV into a CV in this
> lexical scope," and then call the CV.

Whether or not it is slow is not my concern.  My concern is *can* we support
it on architectures that don't have a native C compiler (i.e., the JVM).

I think that's the first and foremost concern with eval($string) (and hence,
the parser).  Slow things can usually be made faster, but "can't get there
from here" is often hard to solve.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn  -  http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn

PGP signature