Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 01:59 PM 7/6/2001 -0500, David L. Nicol wrote:
> in-code pragmata instead of compiler switches?
>
> Lexically scoped optimization hints seem like rather a tricky thing to deal
> with.

I know I'm naive but here's how I see it:

        ->  we design a linkage standard that is the same
            at all optimization levels.

        ->  How far to optimize anything is set with flags.

        ->  Compilation occurs by block, innermost first, as
            far as is possible (but no farther, until Godot arrives.)

Optimization flags set things that can be done in advance, checks to skip
and so forth.

With this mind set, Lexically scoped optmization is the only way to
go, and maintain current flexibility.  What if my symref-free code wants
to use a module that uses symrefs?  With a --promise command line switch,
the module would need to override it or break, which gives us LSO the other
way.

What am I missing, I wonder?  That the block structure goes away?