At 10:21 PM 7/10/2001 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   DS> At 12:02 AM 7/10/2001 +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>   >> And ultimately it's going to be possible to directly manipulate the
>   >> optree, even while a program is running, right?
>
>   DS> Absolutely.
>
>hmm, how does that work with the idea of the byte code being in the read
>only text segment (ala emacs and it's core elisp)?

Bytecode loaded from disk will be mostly read-only, or at least read in in
a way that would share it amongst processes if they don't change it. That
doesn't mean that a program can't mess with its own optree--that is, after
all, what you do when you eval a new subroutine, or mess with the parser.

Regardless, this'll be a rather advanced sort of feature, so until Damian
comes out with a Filter::Optree module I don't think you'll see it in
widespread use. :)