Dan,

  Could you explain again why you don't want char* anywhere, and prefer void*?
You answered this on language-dev, but went off on what seemed to be a tangent
about encodings.

  Some ramblings of my own that may be confusing me, are:
   char* doesn't necessarily mean "a string".
   would typedef char byte (or) typedef char bytes make you happy?

   But still - why void*?  I think that will make things harder to understand...
having a generic type (which might initially be typedef void generic) might make
things more understandable and allow for some typechecking.

-R