Boris, et al. --

> >I am sure that no one in his or her right mind would ever want something
> >like
> >         opcode_t * code_start
> >
> >in beautified code.

Concerns about my state of mind aside...   ;)

It turns out that I'm the guilty party on this one. The C grammar
notwithstanding, my brain parses "opcode_t code_start" as "thing named
'code_start' that gives the location of a thing of type 'opcode_t'",
which means that the '*' belongs by itself, cuddled neither with
'opcode_t' nor 'code_start', which have perfectly good meanings by
themselves. If ther's a whitespace shortage in the future, you can
come knocking on my door, because I'm a heavy user. :)

I'm confident that I'm in the minority here, but I format declarations
this way, which matches my mental model nicely (comments added here
for expository purposes; I don't put them in my C code):

    /* type */    /* name */
    int           foo;
    char *        bar;
    struct quux * splee;

Its not as clear when there's a single declaration, since the alignment
of the names is one of the major visual cues. But, it works well enough
for me (not surprisingly :) even in that case.

TMTOWTDI.

Of course, whatever the Code Police (SM) decide is the Parrot Way (TM)
should prevail in the Parrot code base, but there's nothing objectively
un-beautiful about the layout above.

Just US$0.02 from the "human version of indent" (with a tip o' the
hat to Simon :)...

Regards,

-- Gregor
/            Inspiration >> Innovation >> Excellence (TM)            \

   Gregor N. Purdy                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.               http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                  513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                          513-860-3579 fax

[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]$ ping osama.taliban.af
PING osama.taliban.af (68.69.65.68) from 20.1.9.11 : 56 bytes of data.