On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 18:30, Bryan C. Warnock wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2002 16:18, Gregor N. Purdy wrote:
> > Bryan --

> > > Nope.  sizeof(opcode_t) >= 32 and sizeof(opcode_t) <= sizeof(INTVAL).
> > > The *contents* are limited to 32 bits, but the container is not.
> > > (64-bit efficiency hack.)
> >
> > On disk, its 4 bytes per.
>
> Currently, it's whatever it's currently written to currently do.  Currently.
> Ultimately, it will be as above.  (Well, "will" is a strong word.  "should
> be" may be less zealous.)

Whether the code is right or wrong, it was intended to write out 4-byte
opcodes. However, probably if I go back and look at it, its using
sizeof, which would mean 8 bytes on 8-byte-opcode_t platforms. And then
the factor of 4 pointed out earlier really should use a sizeof. Yup; we
definitely want the updated PBC spec in and implemented. We should pick
a release (0.0.4 or 0.0.5?) to target and go for it.

> This hasn't really been an issue (except for FLOATVALs) because we've only
> been dealing with "native bytecode."

Sure enough.

> We've hashed through PBCv2 a couple times - there are still some changes to
> be made on the last iteration.  I've been holding off on any freezes to it
> until we're fairly certain we've everything covered.

I'd like to see what you've got so far...  Dan has agreed to post some
requirements and antirequirements. I know there's plenty of discussion
in the archive, but I don't remember there being many points that
actually reached consensus (or decision by dictate). Probably there
were, but I don't remember them. I'm happy to participate in the coding
when the time comes, and I'm hoping we can mostly muddle through with
the existing code until then.

Regards,

-- Gregor
/            Inspiration >> Innovation >> Excellence (TM)            \

   Gregor N. Purdy                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.               http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                  513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                          513-860-3579 fax

[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]$ ping osama.taliban.af
PING osama.taliban.af (68.69.65.68) from 20.1.9.11 : 56 bytes of data.