Please folks, both for parrot's stability and my sanity, be careful
when writing code. Keep threads, GC, and multiple interpreters in
mind.

That means:

1) NO STATIC VARIABLES! EVER!
2) Don't hold on to pointers to memory across calls to routines that
might call the GC.
3) Don't hold on to pointers to allocated PMCs that aren't accessible
from the root set

I know #s 2 and 3 are reasonably newish things, but if you take care
it'll make my life much easier if you do. (Use the new GC & DOD
blocking calls if you must, but they should be an indicator you might
want to rethink things)

Static variables just shouldn't be used, period. They'll screw up
both multiple interpreters and threads. You don't want to do that.
Really, you don't.

Thanks.