> We also need to make sure ICU will work everywhere.  And I do mean
> *everywhere*.  Will it work on VMS?  Palm OS?  Crays?

Nope, nope, and nope.

>From their site -

Operating system    Compiler                    Testing frequency
Windows 98/NT/2000  Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0    Reference platform
Red Hat Linux 6.1   gcc 2.95.2                  Reference platform
AIX 4.3.3           xlC 3.6.4                   Reference platform
Solaris 2.6         Workshop Pro CC 4.2         Reference platform
HP/UX 11.01         aCC A.12.10                 Reference platform
AIX 5.1.0 L         Visual Age C++ 5.0          Regularly tested
Solaris 2.7         Workshop Pro CC 6.0         Regularly tested
Solaris 2.6         gcc 2.91.66                 Regularly tested
FreeBSD 4.4         gcc 2.95.3                  Regularly tested
HP/UX 11.01         CC A.03.10                  Regularly tested
OS/390 (zSeries)    CC r10                      Regularly tested
AS/400 (iSeries)    V5R1 iCC                    Rarely tested
NetBSD, OpenBSD                                 Rarely tested
SGI/IRIX                                        Rarely tested
PTX                                             Rarely tested
OS/2 Visual Age                                 Rarely tested
Macintosh                                       Needs help to port

-<(MBrod)>-