At 1:04 PM -0600 9/1/03, Luke Palmer wrote:
Clemens Eisserer writes:
Hi there!

Ië¾m a java programmer

Uh oh :-)

and Ië¾m not really experienced with perl.

[...]

 I think  that parrot could be the Gnu-version of .NET and could be a
 realy benefit for the whole opensource-world.  No 20 runtimes need to be
 installed on a system - parrot would do the job better than each could
 alone (Because if many apps rely on parrot the JIT will be tuned by guys
 from IBM ;-) ).

 But in my opinion parrot needs a more complete "classpath" that perl5
 currently has.

There is a big problem with that: it kinda precludes the whole "community" thing that made everyone love Perl 5. In particular, CPAN.

The plan for Perl 6, at least, is to include almost nothing in the base
distribution, so administrators are forced to install some stuff from
CPAN order for Perl to be useful at all[1].

Not entirely true. There's going to be a decoupling between the core distribution, mainly parrot and its supporting stuff, and perl (and python, and ruby) but there'll be an all-in-one install for them all, so a trip to CPAN won't actually be necessary. -- Dan