Zellyn Hunter writes:
> On Tuesday 02 September 2003 13:09, Amir Karger wrote:
> > A couple more questions on the coding front:
> >
> > (1) Even though it's supposed to be "native" Parrot support, I'm still
> > allowed to write in PIR, right? Because that'll be translated to pasm
> > and thereby be native.
> >
> > (2) WinFrotz, one of the popular C Z-machine runtimes, is GPL. If I
> > steal code or ideas from there, does Parrot or this piece of it have to
> > be GPL only instead of GPL/Artistic? I am happily ignorant about
> > licensing issues.
>
> So I take it the goal is to to teach parrot to understand z-machine opcodes,
> rather than simply writing a z-machine interpreter that runs on parrot, or
> rewriting inform to compile to parrot?

I doubt it.  I think a z-machine to parrot converter, making some of the
more complex ops sub calls or something, would be best.  We need to work
with the z-machine bytecode directly, though, because many games are
distributed without source.

And perhaps, once dynamic opcode loading is ready, those sub calls can
turn into real ops for speed.  But that's not important at the moment:
the important thing (well, as important as z-machine can be :-) is to
get the translator working.

Luke