Jeff Clites <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Actually, I'm pretty sure that cvs will delete local copies of file
> removed from the repository with just "cvs update". The "-dP" just
> affects directories--the "-d" says to pull down and update new
> directories, and the "-P" tells it to prune (remove) empty directories
> (this is necessary because cvs doesn't really version directories, and
> you end up not really having a way to fully remove them from the
> repository).

exactly.

> My canonical invocation is:
>
>       cvs -q -z6 update -dP
>
> (I use -z6 rather than -z9 because I remember reading somewhere that
> the higher compressions numbers don't save much space, but use a lot
> more CPU, and level 6 is the default for gzip.)

I use a .cvsrc file:
$ cat .cvsrc
cvs -z3 -q
diff -uN
update -dP

This way i just type cvs up and the data is compressed (I use -z3
because some sites don't want higher compression rates because of high
CPU usage on the server) and the directories are handled right.
Furthermore I always get unified diffs.

bye
boe
--
Juergen Boemmels                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fachbereich Physik                      Tel: ++49-(0)631-205-2817