Dan Sugalski wrote:
> 1) Parrot will *not* require Unicode. Period. Ever.

My old 8MB Visor Prism thanks you.

> *) Transform stream of bytes to and from a set of 32-bit integers
> *) Manages byte buffer (so buffer positioning and manipulation by code
> point offset is handled here)

What's wrong with, *as an internal optimization only*, storing the
string in the more efficient-to-access format of the patch?  I mean,
yeah, you don't want it to be externally visible, but if you're going to
treat a string as a series of ints, why not store it that way?

I really see no reason to store strings as UTF-{8,16,32} and waste CPU
cycles on decoding it when we can do a lossless conversion to a format
that's both more compact (in the most common cases) and faster.

--
Brent "Dax" Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.