Note: We've moved past hyper-ops (I hope!), but there are still some
details in this post that deserve a response on tangential topics.

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 11:52, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > That's unrealistic.
>
> No. A real test.

Sorry, I was not clear enough. Yes, of course, non-Parrot Perl 5 is
going to be slow at this, but we expect that and your results showed
nothing surprising.

What might be interesting is to compare Parrot to Parrot doing this with
and without a hyper-operator. That's all I was trying to say.

As for the DOD: you have an excellent point, but it extends far beyond
the hyper-operators. I'm starting to think that front-ends like the
Python compiler or the Perl 6 compiler are going to need controls over
the DOD for just the reasons you cite. After all, they know when they
are about to start doing some large looping operation that's all highly
constrained with respect to allocation. It would make sense to gather
the resources they need, lock down DOD, do what they need to do and then
unlock the DOD...

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith