Chip Salzenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> According to MrJoltCola:
> > I can tell you now Sparc / GCC is broken for most due to our broken
> > Configure.  Our config pulls out the params that were used to build
> > Perl with, and this is invalid because most Sparc folks are running
> > a pre-built Perl and GCC binary that was built on a distributor's
> > system.
>
> Not specifically about SPARC: Is there already a configuration
> roadmap, something for me to start with as I look to What Should Be?

>From what I recall, we're planning a bootstrapping system.  The
configuration/build system will be written in a Parrot language
(possibly, but not necessarily, Perl 6), with PBC files included in
the distribution.  To bootstrap, we'll have platform-specific shell
scripts or batch files sufficient to build Miniparrot, a
stripped-down, no-configuration, ANSI C-only version of Parrot.  So
the steps will be something like:

$ CC=gcc makemini/generic-unix.sh    # Skip if you have an old Parrot
$ (mini)parrot configure.pbc
$ (mini)parrot build.pbc
$ ./parrot test.pbc
$ su
# ./parrot install.pbc

This implies that we won't require a 'make' (and won't have to attempt
to make different 'make's work); all you'll need is a compiler,
linker, and C library.  This also implies that configure.pbc and
build.pbc will probably have to be carefully written to work with the
limited process-manipulation abilities of an ANSI-constrained
Miniparrot.

--
Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

"I used to have a life, but I liked mail-reading so much better."